Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi is the largest trading center in India. It was built in 17th century by Jahanara, the daughter of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. There was a pool in this area in olden days and people gathered there on full moon nights. The reflection of moon in the pool gave this street the name (Chandni means moon).
Bhagirath Palace is the most important area in Chandni Chowk. It is famous for electrical goods, allopathic medicines and medical equipment. This was the mansion of Begum Sumru originally. Kinari Bazaar is another important place, where you can find any kind of Zari and Zardosi works. Dariba Kalan is famous for attars or perfumes.
Chandni Chowk Area in Old Delhi has several famous shrines, belonging to Hindu, Muslim, Jain and Christian religions. The Gauri Shankar temple in this area was built by Gangadhar, a Maratha General in 1761. Sri Digambar Jain Mandir is another famous religious spot in Chandni Chow area. It is also known as Lal Mandir. It was built in the year 1656. Sunehri Masjid located in Chandni Chowk Street was built by Roshan-ud-Daula Zafar Khan in the year 1721. It assumes great historical importance, as the cruel Persian Emperor Nadir Shah ordered to kill everyone in sight from the top of this mosque. Fatehpuri Masjid is another famous mosque in Chandni Chowk Area, Old Delhi. It was built by Fatehpuri Begun in the year 1650.